12 Ways to Lower Your Electric Bill

heat-pump.jpg
Posted on 06/21/2007

When it comes to cutting back and saving money, The Bargainist is all for ways that don't hamper our lifestyle too much. Here are several ways to lower your electric bill and save money for things that count. Like gadgets and cat toys.

1. Keep blinds and curtains closed. If you don't have mini blinds on your windows — get them. They serve as a great insulator.

2. Install energy saving windows. Those old single pane windows really let a lot of heat and air conditioning escape.

3. Change the filters in air conditioners and furnaces. Not only does it keep systems running at optimum efficiency, it keeps the air in your home cleaner too.

4. Place window air conditioners on the shadiest side of the house. It won't have to work as hard and will use less power.

5. Make sure air conditioners and furnaces are the right size. Too small, it has to work too hard. Too large and they lose their efficiency, therefore using even more electricity.

6. Have regular checkups performed on systems. This keeps things running smoothly and could catch a problem before it's too late. Like the middle of that unexpected snow storm, or hottest ever day of the summer.

7. Keep weeds and shrubs trimmed. Keep them away from outside heating/cooling units for best airflow.

8. Plant shade trees. This is especially important on the side of the house that gets the most sun.

9. Use timers to turn lights on and off. For when you're not around, it's better than leaving a light on constantly, and also works to fool burglars.

10. Use compact fluorescent bulbs. Although they cost a little more than regular bulbs, they last up to 10 times longer and use a lot less electricity to burn.

11. Unplug appliances and electronics. Some of these items tend to keep using a little electric even when turned off.

12. Adjust the temperature before leaving the house or going to bed. Or better yet, install a programmable thermostat. It will eventually more than pay for itself.

* Hot deals expire quickly. This deal may no longer be valid.

Comments

Paul

Posted on 12.03.09 at 11:35 PM

Tip 13

Change to a cheaper power company.

Amit

Posted on 05.11.10 at 11:17 PM

I am quite interesting in this topic hope you will elaborate more on it in future posts.
mba

Francis

Posted on 02.27.11 at 12:56 PM

Get rid of your house phone! Nowadays, household phones are practically irrelevant. I got rid of mine and got a prepaid phone instead. With my TracFone prepaid, I was able to transfer over my home phone number. Now my cell phone is receiving all of my home calls as well!

Carley

Posted on 11.02.11 at 10:43 AM

I relaly appreciate free, succinct, reliable data like this.

William

Posted on 01.22.12 at 2:39 PM

Great ideas! We bought about 10 yards of insulated material from a great sleeping bag and outdoor clothing store (on line) and we sewed (meaning my wife)all new insulated curtains for the whole house for under $100.0
Check out www.wiggysbags.com for the material

dave

Posted on 01.27.12 at 4:07 PM

CUT DOWN ON ENERGY? simple , shutitoff at the box ,,learn to live without it it canbe done ,, as im doing it and surviving and loving it , plus saving a heap of my cash

Natalie Dalton

Posted on 05.14.12 at 1:26 PM

Thanks you for this post! This is just want I have been searching for. I have been combing the internet for how to lower electric bill and haven't found as many practical tips as you have here. Thanks again!

Neighbor

Posted on 10.18.12 at 9:35 AM

Turn off the A/C when you leave home for even a few hours. The myth that it costs more to cool the house down after letting it heat up is just that, a myth. In a few minutes the house will cool down when you return and you will have saved hours of A/C cost, the most costly part of your electric bill, and the same applies to electric heat in winter.

kathryn

Posted on 02.06.13 at 10:25 PM

Sometimes I think it is cheaper to get rid of the cell phone instead of the landline,especially for families.If the kids are home alone (and old enough) how can they call anyone if the parents have the phone? I know, some people think they would die without their cell phone :)

Sarah Isbister

Posted on 02.24.13 at 6:47 AM

Dont hqve air con on at all..... if its hot in the house open a window.

Line dry your clothes.

Turn heating off when not home,

Onlu change clothes if really dirty, saves washing.

Change lights to low energy, can cut bill by half

Olivia

Posted on 12.05.13 at 1:45 PM

I have done the lowering the AC to 82 degrees while away and 79 degrees when I'm home. True enough I sometimes keep it at 82 because that's comfortable for me. I live in Florida and it gets hot. It has help my light bill ALOT. True story I went from 190.00 to 116.00 within a month. Check my bill again today I'm just under 100.00 NOW!! Turn your ceiling fans off when you leave area.

zach

Posted on 12.27.13 at 10:50 AM

Florescent light bulbs? No thanks. Have you read the hazards of these things if they break? Go with LED if you don't like the old style incandescent.